Tuesday, June 24, 2008

24 Reality Checks Per Day

The goal of reality checks during the waking state is to ingrain the habit of testing your conscious state so deeply that it carries over into your dreams.

The simplest reality check is to ask yourself "Am I dreaming?", and study your environment for any clues. Anything illogical, interesting or amazing should prompt you to study your surroundings further. The biggest problem with this method is that it is easy to fall into a habit of simply asking yourself if you are dreaming, looking around for a second, and then deciding that you in fact awake.

I have found that an extended period of conscious reasoning has to take place for me to really make use of a reality check while I am in a dream. I have to make a mental note of everything that I see and am experiencing at the time, then ask myself if this is something that would happen in real life. By this point, if I have stayed conscious enough to follow this thought process through then I will have enough evidence that I am dreaming. And then I become fully lucid.

One other thing that I do when reality checking in dreams is to immediately try to fly or float a bit. It takes no effort to accomplish (for me), so if I start floating then I immediately know that I am dreaming.

Reality check (and lucidity) accomplished.

No comments: